All of May is Bike Month and today is National Bike to Work Day.
The idea behind both Bike to Work Day/Month is to promote bicycle commuting as a wonderful alternative to driving to work. Since Florida has a pretty much moderate year-round climate, it is very easy to see why many workers opt to ditch their cars for a more planet-friendly bike ride to work. There are other various reasons to bike instead of drive, including:
- It’s cheaper: According to various reports, it only costs about $300 a year to keep your bike in tip top shape. If you think about it, that’s nearly 30 times less than the yearly upkeep on a car. Plus, think of all the money you’ll save on gas!
- It’s great exercise: If losing weight is on your agenda, then get this: bike commuters lose an average of 13 pounds in the first year they start biking to work. It’s also a good cardio workout, so you can skip gym.
- You can kiss all that traffic goodbye: Biking lets you bypass all the waiting, and you can save yourself more than $700 a year because you won’t be burning gas while stuck in traffic.
- Less sick days than public transportation users: According to the New York Daily News, public transit riders are “six times more likely to suffer from acute respiratory infections.”
- Parking won’t be a problem: No more spending time circling parking lots or garages. Most commercial office buildings have bike racks where you can park your bike. If not, there’s always a tree or sign post to chain your bike to.
Our Florida Injury Attorneys at Whittel & Melton are advocates for bicycle safety. If you’ve been injured while biking to work or any other time, please let us help you with your claim. Call us today at 866-608-5529 or contact us online for a free case evaluation.